Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Impotence of Being Earnest

My first reaction to “The Impotence of Being Earnest” was that it’s sad but true. My favorite part was the one that stated that nihilism always beats ideology. It made me laugh and feel all warm and fuzzy. Mainly because I think it’s true because to me it seems like we are always under the illusion that things matter but they rarely if ever actually do. Granted, I’m probably more of a nihilist than anything but my worldview usually depends on my mood. Sometimes I believe God exists sometimes I don’t, sometimes everything seems interconnected other times everything seems disconnected. I don’t have a problem believing in all possibilities.

Unfortunately the article doesn’t go beyond pointing out the hopelessness of first things first manifesto. I would like to argue and say that this article is wrong but I can’t. I completely agree… everything has been more or less reduced to a joke. Words that used to carry impact 50 years ago now mean very little. The article humorously points out the word revolution describes clothes more than any movement in society today. This just goes to show how little words are beginning to mean and as I go through life I find our language less and less descriptive. I sometimes find myself unable to adequately describe my feelings or my thoughts and ideas. This is an exaggeration of course… I’m just suggesting that communication is evolving beyond language. Music and art can sometimes represent my mood better than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment