Monday, May 3, 2010

Ethical Design Education

To be frank, although I always loved nature I never quite really cared about sustainability. I saw it as a wasted effort that would ultimately get ignored by greater interests. I feel differently now that I know exactly what sustainability is, and now that I feel inspired by the power of design thanks to certain individuals in the past. (Morris, Dreyfuss)I find Szenasy’s article meaningful because I can relate to the change of heart her students underwent. This issue is so morally sound, true, and pure that it would win anyone over. It reminds me of the children’s novel “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein.

Excerpt from wiki:
“The Giving Tree is a tale about a relationship between a young boy and a tree in a forest. The tree always provides the boy with what he wants: branches on which to swing, shade in which to sit, apples to eat, branches with which to build a home. As the boy grows older he requires more and more of the tree. The tree loves the boy very much and gives him anything he asks for. In the ultimate act of self-sacrifice, the tree lets the boy cut her down so the boy can build a boat in which he can sail. The boy leaves the tree, now a stump. Many years later, the boy, now an old man, returns and the tree says, "I have nothing left to give you." The boy replies, " I do not need much now, just a quiet place to sit and rest." The tree then says, "Good! A tree stump is a great place to do just that! Come boy, sit down and be happy." The boy obliged and the tree was happy.”

Although there are many interpretations, for me this is a metaphor for nature’s endless self-sacrifice and our inability to be grateful for it. It represents the need for a fair give and take relationship. Nature has nurtured humanity but now the time has come for us to return the favor. My favorite part in the article is where it talks about interconnectedness. I feel like it will be a huge theme for my generation as more and more people learn more about the great beauty of nature. This will be the fuel that will make sustainability a reality. Like the generations before mine that fought for the success of future generations ours will too, and like past generations we will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment